Sunday 4 September 2011

Inspired to Sew................Pin Cushions.

Happy Sunday,just popping in as I've been doing a bit of sewing the last few days and not on cards,I'm not a natural sewer and I think my needlework teacher from school would have agreed,needless to say I droppped the subject as soon I could.I also dreaded making costumes for dance shows and school productions when my kids were little but since subscribing to Mollie Makes  and seeing all the wonderful sewing projects and beautiful fabrics,I've been itching to try my hand at it again. Over the last few month's, if I see a piece of fabric I like I've been buying a 1/4 metre and now have quite a little collection.
I wanted to do something simple without the need of a pattern or template and so decided on a pin cushion,the first one took me ages to do but I perservered and eventually ended up with one I was happy with.



My starting point was which fabric to use and then it evolved from there,I then found lace,ribbon and buttons from my stash that would go with the fabric.I made the flower by tearing off a metre long piece of fabric so I got a frayed edge,folded it in half and did a running stitch along the bottom edge and pulled the thread to gather it together, nice and easy. The width was about 2" but it depends how big you want your flower.



My favourite is the pink one,I like the shabby chic look ,which one do you prefer ?

I'm in Cornwall this week,there isn't any WiFi where we are (this is a scheduled post) so I will catch up with everybody's blog when I get back,have a good week.

xxxxDebxxxx

18 comments:

Lisa said...

so cute! way to go at having a go at sewing - these both look great and I'd never have known you weren't a natural! I love the pink (well I would wouldn't I?) but the orange and blue is such a lovely combination.... So very sweet. I think I'm going to need to track down Mollie Makes and get myself a sewing machine. There's so much needlework out there at the moment, it's really making me miss it!! Can I copy? (again...!!!)

Lea said...

How cute are these! My fave is the pink one as well, I think it's the lace!

K @ Aurora Blythe said...

Hard to tell which I like best. The pink one is so lovely, but the aqua and pumpkin one is country fun!

Sue Lelli said...

Deb, I LOVE both! (Even though I am basically a pink person the other one is FAB with those pom poms! Are you going to sell these???

farmhouse-story said...

these turned out so cute, deb! love the pom poms!!

Sarah ~ Crafts from the Cwtch said...

They are so lovely - I like the orange and blue one best but both are really cute!

Stella said...

Oh my......I think the pink is my favorite too but they both turned out fabulous! My oh my you are so talented and everything you create is GORGEOUS!!
Have fun in Cornwall; wishing you a wonderful time!
XX

papertrails leaver said...

wow these aare gorgeous!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh these are BEAUTIFUL! I loveeeeeeeeee the pompoms!! :):):):):):):):):):):)

Lynnda said...

I love them both... but if you asked me to pick one... I'd choose...the pink one too.... hugs...xoxo

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness Deb! You´re amazing with thread and needle! Love both of your pin cushions, they´re both so elegant! But being a girly girl I would go for the pink, too, although I love your shabby rosette flower of the other one, super duper!! Ira x

Ros said...

These are gorgeous!! I love them both! Hope you are having a great time

Theresa said...

oooh. i love these.. I like the bright blue one, but the pink is really adorable too. i would love to see that magazine on the inside. looks like its pricey for a US subscription.
hope you are having fun...

Unknown said...

I my goodness, These are wonderful.. I can see why you wanted to try to make them.. they are wonderful.. I love both them..

Hugs, Linda

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

my oh my, seeing all your beautiful work just make me want to start sewing again..... thanks for the inspiration!

JulieJ said...

Looking forward to seeing more of those handmade fabric rosettes on LOs ;-)

Susanne said...

What sweet little projects.

Lynne said...

I like both - but I'm a sucker for anything with a pom pom fringe!

The Handmade Sock Society 3 by Helen Stewart

Hello there, I just wanted to let you all know that Season 3 of  The Handmade Sock Society  is available for pre-sale  here  with an Ea...