Friday 30 May 2014

Velvet Rose Shawl......

Good morning, I hope you've had a good week. I'm back to show you the test knit I did for Helen Stewart of the Curious Handmade Podcast.

The pattern is called Velvet Rose Shawl, and is a stunning semi circular lace shawl using sock/4ply yarn.

It looks a very intricate lace design but is deceptively easier than it seems and after a few rows of lace was easy to memorise and very intuitive.

The pattern calls for 150g of yarn but I actually only used just over 90g of Artesano Definition Sock Yarn, just under 400m but this all depends on the yarn you're using and tension.

The finished dimensions of my shawl were 48" across the top straight edge and 19" from the centre neck to bottom edge. I love the picot edge, along the bottom, it's so pretty and delicate.

It blocked out beautifully, I usually block my FO's on the spare bed but I bought myself some children's foam blocks. I never seem to get a straight edge using just pins but I found a great tutorial over on the Yarn Harlot's blog without the use of blocking wires. Instead of the blocking wires, she uses yarn, threaded through the top of the shawl and pulled straight and pinned. It worked a treat and I absolutely loved how it blocked, showing off the gorgeous lace.

Camp Aloha Friends is coming around really quickly and in less than a month the fun will begin!!!!! Mel from Single Handed Knits has been interviewing the Camp Counselors this week. So far you can check out interviews with Deborah Moebes and Melody, if you can find some time, please check it out, they are two very crafty, interesting people.

Here's a couple of photos from our camping trip, we managed to spend a couple of hours on the beach. I love this photo of myself, my daughter, niece and brother in law, the bookworms.

Thanks for stopping by, have a great weekend.

xxxxDebxxxx

 

15 comments:

Country Maison (Eva Martin) said...

Love it, love the colour and how it's turned out. . .
I will put it on my list :-)

Thanks for showing us,
xEva

Lynnda said...

What a beautiful shawl! Love it Deb! Hugs...x

gilly said...

It's just beautiful Deb - as always, I'm in awe of your knitting skills! Love the colour too. Happy weekend to you too, hope the sun comes out :-)
xx

Unknown said...

Another incredible shawl! I would love to see all your shawls lined up so I could just gasp in awe at the talent! :-) Chrissie x

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wow!! This is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I am LOVING the color!! And that bookworm photo is so FUN!!!! That's something I would be doing!! LOL!!!!

Amy at love made my home said...

Great photo of the bookworms!! There they are on the beach and all have their heads in their books, they are true book lovers! Your shawl is beautiful, I love the colour, just like a kingfisher! You are so talented. xx

CathieJ said...

That shawl is beautiful. What a pretty color.

Una said...

It's amazing what you managed to make with 90g of yarn and I love that colour.

Stefanie said...

OMG, love it! It looks easier than her Afternoon Tea which is ready but need paying attention to.

Unknown said...

This turned out beautiful. Love it..

Hugs~

Catherine said...

What a stunning shawl. Clever, clever, clever. I wish I could get the hang of lace.

Jo said...

So delicate, I love it. Jo x

Unknown said...

Gorgeous gorgeous! Your shawl looks very stylish and elegant, fab make Deb! Ira x
Ira’s Crea Corner

Ana BC said...

Lovely shawl! and I am in love with the color ♥

elns said...

I love the photos displayed in different ways the shawl can be worn. It really shows off the versatility of the shawl. Great job.

The Handmade Sock Society 3 by Helen Stewart

Hello there, I just wanted to let you all know that Season 3 of  The Handmade Sock Society  is available for pre-sale  here  with an Ea...